Saturday, July 9, 2011

Two brothers find a home in Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu


(left to right) Taranveer Bains, Saulo Ribeiro, Jatinder Bains
Article written by Jatinder “JT” Bains-
When I was younger, I had always been a kid that got into a lot of fights in school. One day, I was watching some videos on fighting on the internet. The name Royce Gracie repeatedly kept popping up. After watching a few of his fights, and his execution of submissions, I became a Jiu Jitsu fanatic. I found the nearest Jiu Jitsu academy in the area and began training. I trained at other gyms as well, but I always felt lost and without a home. After two years of training at this academy, and practicing my moves on my younger brother “Tarn” at home, I decided to seek out help from the outside. I thought who should I contact? At the time, Xande Ribeiro had just become the Absolute Jiu Jitsu Champion in the world. So I thought, if I was going to leave Canada to learn Jiu Jitsu, why not learn from the best in the world? So, I decided to contact him with an email. I asked him if it would be okay if I came to the University of Jiu Jitsu to train and learn. He welcomed me with open arms! I honestly believe that was the turning point in my life. I worked an extra job for a months and finally saved enough money to make the trip to California. I would go for two weeks. The minute I stepped into the University, I felt at home. The atmosphere was very friendly and highly traditional. During these two weeks, I was exposed to some of the greatest Jiu Jitsu in the world. Xande and Saulo Ribeiro absolutely smashed me, and even the lower belts were much better than me. Despite having my blue belt, I felt like a brand new white belt. I returned home with a burning desire and new understanding of what Jiu Jitsu really is. I revealed to my brother that we were so behind in our Jiu Jitsu, and the only way for us to improve was to make a trip to the University annually. I brought my brother on my second trip to the University. We stayed for two weeks and trained three times a day. This year, I worked two jobs and saved enough money to stay 3 months. Both my brother and I. The training was amazing, the friendships irreplaceable, and the feeling of being without a home gone. My brother and I now have a great Jiu Jitsu family, and a man I am proud to call my leader, friend and mentor, Saulo Ribeiro.

No comments:

Post a Comment